Saturday, November 14, 2009

Watch Your Motives When Debating the Bible

Entwistle, D.N. (2004). Integrative approaches to psychology and Christianity: an introduction to worldview issues, philosophical foundations, and models of integration. Eugene, OR: Wipf and Stock Publishers.
Concrete Responses
This book brought back very vivid memories of my early years as a baby Christian. I was invited to a Bible study at my new evangelical church. We met at the International House of Pancakes each Thursday morning and discussed the Bible. The Bible study leader was a literalist believing every word was truth. Possibly due to my Catholic background, I believed the Bible was a great self-help guide which provided good direction in life, but also contained many errors and was not to be taken literally. As I explained to the leader that miracles such as those detailed in the book of Jonah or the feeding of the 4000 could have everyday explanations, my Bible study leader said, “Paul, you take the easy way out, don’t you?” I rebutted that believing the Word of God is to be taken literally is really taking the easy way out. “You are turning your brain off when you believe that,” I commented. Each week I would return to debate the leader. He was not offended by my attacks though I had clearly derailed his direction with the group. In the end, he asked that he and I meet separately to discuss my questions. This man softened me and helped me find my heart. I began to realize my motives had nothing to do with glorifying God. They had everything to do with showing that my intellect was superior to his. In an effort to discover the truth, I put myself first and the work of my Savior second.

No comments:

Post a Comment