Sunday, November 22, 2009

My Sources of Truth

First and foremost I believe the Bible is the supreme authority when it comes to matters of relationship. God Himself is relational as the Trinity highlights. Throughout the Bible, there is God’s wisdom showing how to relate with Him and how to relate with others. The Bible is also my supreme authority with regards to morality. It is God’s direction for how we should live. I believe in empirical knowledge when it comes to the sciences. The Bible was not intended to answer all of the world’s mysteries. Instead, God provided us with the ability to discover His world through the sciences. I believe in personal experience when it comes to empathizing with others. Through my sufferings, I am more able to feel a person’s hurt and walk along side of him or her. It is reason that I am most skeptical in giving authority. With reason, we can too easily dismiss miracles. With reason, we can potentially limit our spiritual growth and faith in God. In all of these circumstances, I believe, as Entwistle (2004) states, that we must stay humble, keeping open the possibility that our thinking may be in error.

Entwistle, D.N. (2004). Integrative approaches to psychology and Christianity: an introduction to worldview issues, philosophical foundations, and models of integration. Eugene, OR: Wipf and Stock Publishers.

No comments:

Post a Comment