Sunday, November 22, 2009

Deciding Right From Wrong

As a Christian I believe that it is my responsibility to follow the Bible in all of my ethical decisions. Where it is clear, “thou shalt not commit adultery”, there is no question. But what about those areas not spelled out in detail? For instance, is the abused wife free to divorce and remarry? For these questions, the use of hermeneutics and the seeking of wise counsel would by my direction. By researching God’s Word more thoroughly and by listening to trusted people who have faced similar ethical dilemmas, I will be better equipped to decide right from wrong. Throughout the search for truth, I believe that praying for God’s wisdom is essential. In counseling others, I will be very forthright with my beliefs, through informed consent, but willing to walk with clients using their belief systems. For non-Christian clients, I would expect my counsel to lean more towards how the decision affects the client and others involved. For Christian clients, I will be more able to rely on the Bible’s direction. With both sets of clients, I will pray for their clarity and mine. Ultimately, I must trust the Holy Spirit in how to minister to my clients.

No comments:

Post a Comment